February 11, 1944 - March 15, 2006

After courageously battling ovarian cancer for over two years, my mother passed away peacefully, with her family by her side, the morning of March 15, 2006.  On behalf of my entire family I would like to thank everyone for their incredible support during these times.

A message that went out to several people at Medline provides a bit more information.
View it here (an original and a reply from my dad).

There will be a special mass for her on Monday March 20th near her home in Naples, Florida.  My mom's request was that for those who wished to show support, please no flowers - donations may be made to the Shelter for Abused Women & Children in Naples (www.naplesshelter.org, 239 775-3862 x205), or the Hospice of Naples, 1095 Whippoorwill Lane, Naples, FL 34105.


Today is March 16, 2006
The site will be back up with some full updates in the near future...

To reach Bryan or Laura: bryan@mcgonigal.org or 708-217-3982

To reach Dennis: dmcgonigal@medline.com or 239-514-1511

To reach Melissa or Steve: steve.berry@charter.net


April 2nd update:


First of all, to address the numerous requests, there will be a special memorial luncheon to honor my mother in the Chicago area on Sunday, April 30th – time and place TBA. The desire to accommodate schedules of some close friends and family members has caused this to be delayed just a bit.  We will have more details very soon.

On behalf of my entire family I wanted to thank you for the tremendous amount of support. We’ve received countless phone calls, sympathy cards and yes even some flowers…and it appears that both the shelter and hospice have been given quite a few donations. We will certainly try to get back in touch with everyone but it may take a while. Rest assured we received and appreciate your thoughtfulness, and my mom would be happy knowing all of the people who cared for her.

To summarize the events following my mom’s death, per her wishes there was no specific wake or funeral, and she was cremated. A special mass was done for her on Monday 3/20, with a reception at their beach club afterwards. On Tuesday 3/21 (again per her wishes) we took their boat out onto the Gulf of Mexico and put her ashes out to sea. Everything was beautiful, and more important went just as my mother would have hoped.

Even though we were preparing for this day for quite a while, you’re still never quite ready for it when it actually happens. Probably the only person who really was ready and prepared was my mom, so in her own way she made it easier for the rest of the family to accept. The rest of us all seem to be coping with this loss as well as could be expected at this time, and of course are experiencing a heavy adjustment period. I can say with all honesty that right now we are doing OK. Thank you again for caring and your support.

This website will reopen and be “back to normal” within the next week – I still have quite a bit of catching up to do!. Talk to you again soon.

March 21st...overlooking the Gulf at sunset, where Mary McGonigal was put to rest.


Here' is the obit  listed in the Omaha World Herald
(this is the online version).